Membership Status: Dear Bicyclist,
Bike Month has been covered well in the press, especially on public radio. Listen to interviews on WXPN and WHYY's Radio Times for a sense of what we are doing to make your ride better in the Delaware Valley.
Expect to see more coverage of bicycling in Philadelphia as the League of American Bicyclist's Andy Clarke comes to town on Thursday to present the City with a Bicycle Friendly Community Award.
Please join me in welcoming two new staff members: Events Director Maria Dzeimbowska and TD Bank Bike Philly Intern Caroline Heffernan.
|Philadelphia's Bicycle Friendly Community Award!
This Thursday at 11:00 am, the League of American Bicyclist's Andy Clarke will be at City Hall to present Mayor Michael Nutter with Philadelphia's Bronze Bicycle Friendly Community Award.
We are proud that Philadelphia is being recognized for making key advancements since the 1990s. In 1999, Bicycling Magazine named Philadelphia as one of the 10 best cities for bicycling, and Philadelphia won an Honorable Mention as a Bicycle Friendly Community in 2006.
Bike Month: In Case You Missed It...
- Bicyclists from around the state convened in Harrisburg on May 5 for the Pennsylvania Bike Summit asking legislators for support of a 3 foot passing law and Safe Routes to School funding.
the start of the Bicycle Ambassador's first season.
- Philadelphia took another step toward sustainability when City Council passed a bike parking bill requiring new developments to install bike parking.
- When a SUV hit and critically injured a father and young son in a crosswalk on MLK Drive, we launched the Take Back the Drive campaign to make MLK safe for park users.
- Demonstrating the convenience of a bicycle commute, Pat Cunnane of Fuji Bikes won the annual commuter race between a bicyclist, car and transit rider.
- Gov. Rendell finally announced the winners of PA's Safe Routes to School funding, which resulted in Delaware Valley regional winners receiving $18.5 million.
- Delaware County Council formally adopted a Bicycle Plan on May 12 and will be forming a Delaware County Bicycling Committee.
Maria Dziembowska Joins the Staff
New Events Director Maria Dzeimbowska is ready to make this year's TD Bank Bike Philly better than ever. Maria recently returned to Philadelphia from Los Angeles where she pursued a graduate degree in Sociology and helped organize the LA River Ride and numerous triathlon and running events.
Would you like to give Maria a hand? Volunteer at a Bicycle Coalition event!
Want to volunteer for the Bicyle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia? The first Wednesday of every month (that's this Wednesday!) is Volunteer Orientation. You'll meet other bicyclists, eat pizza and learn how you can help our work to make bicycling better.
Wednesday, June 3
100 S Broad St, Suite 1355