You bike in the Delaware Valley. You want to make your ride better. I can help.
I am writing to ask you to make your ride better by supporting the award-winning work of the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia. Become a member today!
While we have done much to make your ride better in the last year through advocacy and education, the best example of the power of Bicycle Coalition advocacy has been on bridges.
- After submitting a petition with 1,400 signatures, we set an important precedent in getting bicycle and pedestrian accomodations on the planned Scudder Falls Bridge across the Delaware
- Following the release of our report Crossing the Delaware for Transportation Independence, DRPA has agreed to build a ramp in 2012 for the Ben Franklin Bridge's beautiful walkway that will connect bicyclists to the only non-motorised Delaware bridge crossing in Philadelphia
But the most remarkable accomplishment centers on the opening of the new South Street Bridge.
- To begin with, the new bridge has bike lanes -- which are even buffered in some sections.
- Even better, the city installed new buffered bike lanes on Lombard and South Streets leading to the bridge.
- And, the icing on the cake will be the construction of a boardwalk connecting the Schuylkill River Trail to the bridge in 2012.
While we didn't make any of these things happen on our own, we were integral to the efforts to improve the design of the South Street Bridge, encourage Philadelphia to pilot buffered bike lanes and find new places to install them, and help the region obtain federal TIGER stimulus funds that are funding construction of the boardwalk (and $17 million in other trail improvements). Our advocacy builds bridges and the result is better streets, trails and, yes, bridges, for you to bike on
Our opportunities to make bicycling better in the Delaware Valley are increasing, but so are the challenges. Will you consider becoming a member at the $35, $50 or even $100 level to help us meet these challenges and continue to make your ride better?
Please take a moment join in four minutes online
Thank you for your support!
PS If you already sent in a membership gift for 2011, thank you! Would you consider forwarding this email to a bicycling friend?